It has been proven that standing exercises and therapies drastically improve the quality of life of power chair users, but it can often be a trivial task determining exactly what therapy or standing device is right for them. For many, a standing frame is the answer, but in too many cases, patients tire of standing frames because of the difficult task to transfer into them and lack of mobility. The Redman Power Chair team provides a product that eliminates the problems of the standing frame and gives its users more independence and access to a way of life they never thought possible.
What is a Standing Frame? The Standing Frame or Stander is an assistive technology that allows disabled person into the standing position. Users generally need assistance to transfer themselves into the frame while in the sitting position and utilize a range of controls to maneuver into the standing position. Standing frames like EasyStand and StandAid are an innovative form of technology used in hospitals, rehabs, and in-home, and can be used as exercise or stretching equipment. Standing frames come in several different makes and models and offer varied positions. If you haven’t yet, read about the health benefits of standing to truly understand the benefit and impact these devices have on their users and take a look at this:
- Participants in a study by advanceweb.com lost almost no bone mineral density when being involved in early loading exercises (like standing) as opposed to 6.9-9.4% loss in sedentary patients
- According to CNN, insulin works 40% better when our muscles are firing, and they do so when standing
- Getting spinal injury patients into the upright position daily is beneficial for circulation and kidney function – Professor Jan Ritchie from UNSW School of Public Health and Community Medicine
Though they are a much-needed resource for power chair users, standing frames have their flaws. Generally speaking, standing frames are NOT mobile—in fact, there are very few mobile standing frames on the market at all. Some noted manufacturers include the Easy Stand and the StandAid, yet most of these devices are bulky and because of this, are difficult to maneuver in small spaces. Additionally, mobile standers aren’t meant for round-the-clock use and people who use mobile standers still need a wheelchair for mobility outside the home, hospital, or rehab center. They are large, difficult to operate, and in many cases use a crank (impossible for use by quadriplegics) . The difficulty in operation and transfer often causes the user to rely on a caregiver, lessening their independence. They are simply for use as therapy.
You cannot deny that standing is extremely beneficial to those who spend most of their time in a wheelchair. The importance of increased blood flow to the body, improved circulation, and increased bone mineral density support standing frames, but there is plenty of room for improvement. Because standing frames are difficult to transfer in to and lack full-mobility, over time, users stop using their standers and they end up collecting dust or becoming an expensive clothes rack. Having one device for mobility proves to be beneficial for matter of convenience and ease of use. The Redman Standing Power chair does much more for its user than traditional standing frames. In fact, over 70% of Redman users had a standing frame like the EasyStand Evolv before they switched to the Redman Chief 107-ZRx, and here’s why they switched:
- The Redman Power Chair is a full mobility stander, recliner and a power chair in one
- Easy transfer from the chair, the Chief 107-ZRx has adjustable arms and lifts for easy transfer–complaints with the EasyStand and StandAid often address difficult transfer
- Unlike other scooters or power chairs, the Redman Power Chair delivers power recline and 90 degree leg elevation standard
- Power chairs drive at about 4-6 mph on average, the Redman Chief 107-XRx can hit speeds up to 9mph
- Uneven streets and rough terrain are easily conquered by the Redman chair with its 4” ground clearance and superior maneuverability
- The Chief 107-ZRx supports almost 100lbs more weight than its competitors
- Redman offers an unprecedented warranty of parts, labor AND wear components standard
- We have been working on only ONE chair for the past 20 years and our product is a reflection of that
To learn more about the Redman Power Chair, compare the Redman Chief 107-ZRx to its competitors and see how they measure up. When looking to improve your quality of life with a quality product, you have to know what makes it special. The Redman Standing Power Chair is the COMPLETE standing mobility solution. Request a free demo and we will show you how this chair can improve your quality of life.